Palais Ludwig Ferdinand

Munich, Germany

Palais Ludwig Ferdinand

The Palais Ludwig Ferdinand (also called the Alfons Palais and the Siemens Palais) is an early 19th-century palace in Munich, Germany, designed by Leo von Klenze. It is located on the Wittelsbacherplatz (at number 4) but forms part of an ensemble with the buildings on the west side of the Odeonsplatz. It was Klenze's own residence, then belonged to Princes Alfons and Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria. It is now the headquarters of Siemens.

The palace was built in 1825–26 for Karl Anton Vogel, a manufacturer of gold and silver thread, to a plan by Franz Xaver Widmann and with façades by Leo von Klenze, who lived on the piano nobile for 25 years. Klenze had originally intended the site for the first Protestant church in Munich, but that was later built elsewhere by Johann Nepomuk Pertsch. The east front of the palace is at the head of a short unnamed street which branches off the Odeonsplatz, between the Odeon and the Palais Leuchtenberg, which Klenze had previously designed with identical exteriors, so that on that side the three form an ensemble. This was originally the main façade of the building, designed by Klenze with a projecting central bay and a balcony above the main entrance, and with details echoing his Bazar building directly across the Odeonsplatz. Around 1850, the building was extended to the west.



Accommodations near Palais Ludwig Ferdinand

View more options near Palais Ludwig Ferdinand0

Nearby Tours & Activities