St Andrew Square is a city square in Edinburgh, Scotland located at the east end of George Street. The gardens are owned by a number of private owners, managed by Essential Edinburgh and opened to the public in 2008. The construction of St Andrew Square began in 1772, as the first part of the New Town, designed by James Craig. Within six years of its completion St Andrew Square became one of the most desirable and most fashionable residential areas in the city. As the 19th century came to a close, St Andrew Square evolved into the commercial centre of the city.