San Giovanni a Carbonara

Naples, Italy

San Giovanni a Carbonara

9.2

San Giovanni a Carbonara is a Gothic church in Naples, Southern Italy. It is located at the northern end of via Carbonara, just outside what used to be the eastern wall of the old city. The name carbonara (meaning "coal-carrier") was given to this site allocated for the collection and burning of refuse outside the city walls in the Middle Ages.

The monastery/church complex of San Giovanni was founded by the Augustinians in 1343. The church was begun in Gotico Angioiano style, but completed in the early 15th century under King Ladislaus of Durazzo, who turned the church into a Pantheon-like tribute to the last of the Angevin rulers of Naples.

Thumbnail image credited to Leandro Neumann CiuffoAdditional info



Guests' reviews


Accommodations near San Giovanni a Carbonara

View more options near San Giovanni a Carbonara

San Giovanni a Carbonara Tours & Activities