Sant'Orsola a Chiaia

Naples, Italy

Sant'Orsola a Chiaia

Sant'Orsola a Chiaia (also called Sant'Orsola dei Mercedari Spagnoli, or the Parish church of Santa Maria della Mercede a Chiaia) is a church in largo Sant'Orsola in the quartieri of Chiaia in Naples, Italy.

Originally, this was the site of a small 16th-century chapel endowed by the Spaniard Annibale de Troyanis y Mortella and dedicated to Saint Ursula. In 1569 it was donated to fathers of the Order of Santa Maria della Mercede, who in 1576 demolished the chapel to build a new convent. The church was reconstructed. In 1875, the cloister that held the tombs of the monks was demolished and the Teatro Sannazaro was built instead. The convent held Mercedari priests till 1923.



Accommodations near Sant'Orsola a Chiaia

View more options near Sant'Orsola a Chiaia0

Nearby Tours & Activities