St. James' Church, Delhi

New Delhi, India

St. James' Church, Delhi

St. James' Church (also known as Skinner's Church), built in 1836 by Colonel James Skinner, is one of the oldest churches in the city, and part of the Church of North India Diocese of Delhi. It is situated near Kashmiri Gate, at the intersection of Church Road and Lothian Road. It was the church the Viceroy of India, attended until the Cathedral Church of the Redemption, near Gurudwara Rakab Ganj, was built in 1931. The only other church of that era, the St. Stephen's Church, at Fatehpuri, Delhi was built in 1867. Behind the church is the bungalow of British Commissioners of Delhi, William Fraser, who is also buried in the church graveyard.

Subsequently, he built the edifice at his own expense of 95,000 Rupees, under the design of Major Robert Smith. The construction started in 1826, and was completed in 1836. The basic design of Renaissance Revival style church is on a cruciform plan (Greek Cross), with three porticoed porches, elaborate stained glass windows and a central octagonal dome, similar to that of the Florence Cathedral in Italy. It was consecrated on 21 November 1836 by the bishop of Calcutta Daniel Wilson.



Accommodations near St. James' Church, Delhi

View more options near St. James' Church, Delhi0

Nearby Tours & Activities