Lewis Fulton Memorial Park

New Haven, United States

Lewis Fulton Memorial Park

Lewis Fulton Memorial Park is a public park in the city of Waterbury, Connecticut. Located north of the city center, it was developed in the 1920s through the philanthropy of William Fulton, a brass company owner, as a memorial to his son Lewis. Its grounds were designed by the Olmsted Brothers landscape architects, and were largely completed by 1925. The park includes facilities for both active and passive recreation, and retains many Olmsted-designed features. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Fulton Park is an irregularly shaped area of about 70 acres (28 ha), bounded on the west by Cooke Street and the south by Pine Street. The eastern and northern bounds are residential areas south of Moran Street and west of Hill Street. It is organized into three major sections, one of which lies north of Greenwood Avenue separate from the other two. This section, the last to developed, is largely taken up by an athletic field and tennis courts. The southern sections are each focused around bodies of water identified as the Upper and Lower Ponds. These areas were the principal focus of the Olmsted Brothers landscaping, and include a number of passive recreation features, including a rock garden, rose garden, and lilac path. East of the Upper Pond is a broad open area that has been developed with athletic fields.



Accommodations near Lewis Fulton Memorial Park

View more options near Lewis Fulton Memorial Park0

Nearby Tours & Activities