Beauregard-Keyes House

New Orleans, United States

Beauregard-Keyes House

9

The Beauregard-Keyes House is a historic residence located at 1113 Chartres Street in the French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana. It is currently a museum focusing on some of the past residents of the house, most notably Confederate General Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard and American author Frances Parkinson Keyes.

The property where the house would be built was originally owned by Ursuline nuns, who sold off parcels of their land in 1825. The home was designed by François Correjolles and built by James Lambert in 1826 for auctioneer Joseph LeCarpentier. In his design, Correjolles combined elements of a Creole cottage with Greek Revival features, including a Palladian façade. In particular, he used Creole forms in the interior and on the rear elevation, as well as a cabinet gallery and detached outbuildings, but maintaining the American tradition of a central hall. Consul of Switzerland John A. Merle became the owner in 1833 and his wife, Anais Philippon, added the adjoining garden.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Beauregard-Keyes House

View more options near Beauregard-Keyes House

Nearby Tours & Activities