Fort Gansevoort

New York City, United States

Fort Gansevoort

Fort Gansevoort was a former United States Army fort in the New York City borough of Manhattan. It was also called the White Fort due to its whitewashed exterior.

The fort was named for Peter Gansevoort, a Revolutionary War officer. It was located between Gansevoort Street and West 12th Street, near the west end of Gansevoort Street, strategically positioned to defend the Hudson River. The fort was completed in 1812, shortly after the outbreak of the War of 1812, and mounted 22 guns, along with a shot furnace, magazine, arsenal, and barracks. Some sources state that construction began in 1808; however, the fort does not appear in the Secretary of War's report on fortifications for December 1811. Forts built with state or local resources did not appear in these reports. The fort was part of what was later called the second system of US fortifications.



Accommodations near Fort Gansevoort

View more options near Fort Gansevoort0

Nearby Tours & Activities