St. Columba Church (New York City)

New York City, United States

St. Columba Church (New York City)

The Church of St. Columba is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 343 W 25th St, Manhattan (Chelsea), New York City. The parish was established in 1845.

St. Columba's Church was built at the request of Catholic residents of the neighborhood of Chelsea, whose closest church was of St. Joseph in Greenwich Village. Bishop Hughes put Rev. Patrick Joseph Bourke in charge. Father Bourke first held services in a small frame building on the south side of 27th St. between 8th and 9th Avenues. He then obtained possession of a boathouse at 24th and 8th. The cornerstone of the church was laid by Bishop Hughes on May 22, 1845. The church was constructed by parishioners who employed as laborers on the west side docks, who would spend evenings at the site after loading and unloading ships all day. St. Columba's was dedicated on October 2, 1845 by coadjutor bishop John McCloskey.



Accommodations near St. Columba Church (New York City)

View more options near St. Columba Church (New York City)0

Nearby Tours & Activities