The Apthorp

New York City, United States

The Apthorp

The Apthorp is a historic condominium apartment building on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City. The Italian Renaissance Revival building designed by architects Clinton & Russell for William Waldorf Astor, was built between 1906 and 1908; it occupies the full block between Broadway, West End Avenue, and West 78th and 79th Streets. The building, which has been called "monumental and magnificent", is built around a large interior courtyard. It was designated a New York City landmark in 1969, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

The building was named for Charles Ward Apthorp, who owned Apthorp Farm, which encompassed about 300 acres (1.2 km2) in this part of Manhattan in the late 18th century.



Accommodations near The Apthorp

View more options near The Apthorp0

Nearby Tours & Activities