Newbury Bridge

Newbury, United Kingdom

Newbury Bridge

Newbury Bridge, also known as Kennet Bridge or Town Bridge, is a bridge across the River Kennet in the town centre of Newbury in the English county of Berkshire. The bridge carries Bridge Street, which links Northbrook Street, to the north of the river, with Bartholomew Street, to the south. The river channel under the bridge is also used by boats navigating the Kennet and Avon Canal. The current bridge was built between 1769 and 1772 and has three arches, although the two outer arches are now hidden by flanking buildings. It is a Grade II* listed structure.

The first bridge across the River Kennet in Newbury dates back to the Middle Ages, and the earliest reference to it is an account of its reconstruction in the 14th Century. In 1312, King Edward II directed that the bridge should be kept in good order. By 1623, the bridge is recorded as being built of wood, being 30 feet (9.1 m) in length and 20 feet (6.1 m) in width, and having shops on it. However on 5 February of that year, the bridge collapsed unexpectedly. The bridge was presumably rebuilt, as in 1644, during the Second Battle of Newbury, a guard was placed on the bridge by the Cavaliers to prevent an attack from the south by the Roundheads.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Newbury Bridge

View more options near Newbury Bridge0

Nearby Tours & Activities