Newbury Town Hall

Newbury, United Kingdom

Newbury Town Hall

Newbury Town Hall is a municipal building in the Market Place in Newbury, Berkshire, England. The building, which is the meeting place of Newbury Town Council, is a Grade II listed building.

The site for the first town hall in Newbury had been occupied by several properties belonging to a Mr Thomas Stockwell. Originally referred to as the "town house", it was designed by John Wood of Bath and constructed in the Market Place by a local building firm, Clarkes, and completed in 1742. The building was arcaded on the ground floor so markets could be held and there was a room known as the "great hall" on the first floor. Subsequent acquisitions for use in the great hall included two chandeliers, financed by a donation, in 1770 and two paintings by the Italian artist, Cosino Fioravante, in 1776.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Newbury Town Hall

View more options near Newbury Town Hall0

Nearby Tours & Activities