Lappa Valley Steam Railway

Newquay, United Kingdom

Lappa Valley Steam Railway

9

The Lappa Valley Railway is a 15 in (381 mm) minimum gauge railway located near Newquay in Cornwall. The railway functions as a tourist attraction, running from Benny Halt (50.3756°N 5.0412°W / 50.3756; -5.0412 (Benny Halt)) to East Wheal Rose (50.3623°N 5.0416°W / 50.3623; -5.0416 (East Wheal Rose)), where there is a leisure area with two miniature railways.

In 1843, Joseph Treffry suggested building a tramway between Par and Newquay, with a branch line to the East Wheal Rose silver lead mine, which at the time was entering its most prosperous period. Treffry spent six years trying to overcome public opposition to the tramway and was forced to modify his intended route. The Treffry Tramways were eventually built from Newquay to St. Dennis with the branch line to East Wheal Rose, and the first load of ore left East Wheal Rose on 26 February 1849 in horse-drawn tubs. 1874 saw the Treffry's network of tramways taken over by the Cornwall Minerals Railway, who introduced steam locomotives to the line.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Lappa Valley Steam Railway

View more options near Lappa Valley Steam Railway

Nearby Tours & Activities