Dmitrievskaya Tower

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

Dmitrievskaya Tower

9.4

The Dmitrievskaya Tower (Russian: Дмитриевская башня, tr. Dmitrievskaya Bashnya) is the main tower on the southern wall of the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin which overlooks the Minin and Pozharsky Square. The tower named after a powerful Prince of Suzdal and Nizhny Novgorod Dmitry of Suzdal. Another version claims that the name gave a church which was sanctified of the name of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki. This church was located opposite the tower.

The Dmitrievskaya Tower was built between 1500 and 1516 during the construction of the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin. Its earliest mention comes in 1516 in the chronicle. After 1782 the Dmitrievskaya Tower began to disintegrate and redevelop. The Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin has been completely renovated between 1785 and 1790. Part of the tower above the gates was completely reconstructed. Wall thicknesses was reduced, loopholes were replaced by rectangular windows. Low slanting iron roof was erected. In the early 18th the Kremlin walls and the Dmitrievskaya Tower were traditionally painted white, in accordance with fashion. Height of the tower decreased by 6 m after back filling of a moat between 1834 and 1837 around the Kremlin. A garrison school for soldierly children occupied the tower at the end of the 18th century and the early the 19th century. The fortress become dilapidated meanwhile. Between 1958 and 1856 the tower was occupied by the provincial government?s archival depository. Then the Dmitrievskaya Tower was abandoned.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Dmitrievskaya Tower

View more options near Dmitrievskaya Tower

Nearby Tours & Activities