Kedleston Hall

Nottingham, United Kingdom

Kedleston Hall

9.2

Kedleston Hall is a neo-classical manor house, and seat of the Curzon family, located in Kedleston, Derbyshire, approximately 4 miles (6 km) north-west of Derby. The medieval village of Kedleston was moved in 1759 by Nathaniel Curzon to make way for the manor. All that remains of the original village is the 12th century All Saints Church, Kedleston. Members of the family have held 14 hereditary titles such as: Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, Earl Howe, Earl Curzon of Kedleston, Viscount Curzon, Viscount Scarsdale, Viscounts Howe, Curzon of Kedleston, Baron Scarsdale, Baron Ravensdale, Lord of the Manor of Curzon, Baron Howe, Baron Curzon, Baronet Mosley, and Baronet of Kedleston Hall.

The current house was commissioned in 1759 by Nathaniel Curzon and designed by Robert Adam. George Nathaniel Curzon is Kedleston's first Marquess Curzon, the first son of the fourth Baron Scarsdale. The second Baroness Ravensdale was Irene Mary Curzon (1896–1966). The third Baron Ravensdale (b. 1923), was Sir Nicholas Mosley, born to George Curzon's daughter, Cynthia Blanche Mosley (1898–1933). The first Earl Howe included Curzon-Howe Richard William (1796–1870); Curzon-Howe George Frederick (1821–1876). The third Earl Howe going forward included the third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh Earl Howe as Curzon-Howe Richard William (1822–1900), Curzon Richard George (1861–1929), Curzon Francis Penn (1884–1964), Curzon Richard Assheton (1908–1984), and Curzon Frederick Richard (b. 1951), in that order.

Thumbnail image credited to Glen Bowman from Newcastle, EnglandAdditional info



Guests' reviews


Accommodations near Kedleston Hall

View more options near Kedleston Hall

Kedleston Hall Tours & Activities