Nuremberg Charterhouse

Nürnberg, Germany

Nuremberg Charterhouse

Nuremberg Charterhouse (Kartäuserkloster Nürnberg, also Kartause Marienzell) was a Carthusian monastery, or charterhouse, in Nuremberg in Germany. Its surviving premises are now incorporated into the Germanisches Nationalmuseum.

The monastery was founded in 1380 for the Carthusian order by the merchant Marquard Mendel. The extensive building complex was erected outside the first city wall in the southern suburb of Nuremberg, between the convent of the Poor Clares and St. James's (Jakobskirche), the former church of the Teutonic Knights. The laying of the foundation stone of the monastery church took place on 16 February 1381, and was attended by Wenceslaus, King of the Romans, and the Papal Legate Cardinal Pileus. The first monks there are documented from as early as 1382, and the church is believed to have been consecrated in 1383 (or possibly 1387). In 1385 the founder, Marquard Mendel, was buried in the quire of the new church.



Accommodations near Nuremberg Charterhouse

View more options near Nuremberg Charterhouse0

Nearby Tours & Activities