Holy Cross Church, Burley

Oakham, United Kingdom

Holy Cross Church, Burley

10

Holy Cross Church is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Burley, Rutland, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It stands adjacent to Burley-on-the-Hill House.

Building of the church started in the 12th century. By the end of that century it consisted of a nave, chancel and north aisle. During the following century the south aisle was added. In the 14th century the tower was built. The church was restored in about 1796 when square-headed windows were inserted, and box pews were added. In 1869–70 the church was extensively restored by J. L. Pearson. This included rebuilding the east end, replacing all but one of the windows, and adding a new porch. The church was declared redundant on 1 May 1984, and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 17 February 1988.

Thumbnail image credited to Kate JewellAdditional info



Guests' reviews


Accommodations near Holy Cross Church, Burley

View more options near Holy Cross Church, Burley

Holy Cross Church, Burley Tours & Activities