Zürich Town Hall

Opfikon, Switzerland

Zürich Town Hall

The Rathaus in Zürich, Switzerland is Zürich's Town Hall. The Rathaus was built from 1694-1698. It served as the seat of government and administration of the Republic of Zürich until 1798. The canton of Zürich owns it since 1803, and it houses both legislative chambers, the cantonal parliament (German: Kantonsrat) as well as the City Parliament (German: Gemeinderat). It must be distinguished from the Stadthaus (City Hall), which is the seat of the city's executive government, the City Council (German: Stadtrat) and its administration.