Orange County Regional History Center

Orlando, United States

Orange County Regional History Center

9

The Orange County Regional History Center is a private non-profit history museum located in downtown Orlando, Florida, United States. Located in the historic Orange County Courthouse, the five-story museum consists of exhibits presenting local and regional history starting from 12,000 years ago.

In 1892, a red-brick courthouse was built in the newly established city limits of Orlando. In 1927, a neoclassical building, now the current home of the History Center, was added and became the main courthouse. When the red-brick courthouse was demolished in 1957, the Board of County Commissioners established a historical commission to carry on the work. In 1960 a Courthouse annex was built next to the 1927 Courthouse. In 1976 the Orange County Historical Museum in Orlando's Loch Haven Park opened and became the precursor to the History Center. In 1989, the Courthouse annex closed due to asbestos. In 1995, Orange County debuted its current, high-rise courthouse, and a task force of community leaders unanimously recommended that the 1927 courthouse become a larger, regional history museum. In 1998 the Courthouse annex was demolished and Heritage Park was built on the site. The Orange County Regional History Center opened in September 2000.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Orange County Regional History Center

View more options near Orange County Regional History Center

Nearby Tours & Activities