Chiesa di Santa Caterina

Palermo, Italy

Chiesa di Santa Caterina

8.8

Santa Caterina d'Alessandria or Saint Catherine of Alexandria is a Roman Catholic church with a main facade on Piazza Bellini, and a lateral Western facade facing the elaborate Fontana Pretoria, in the historic quarter of Kalsa in the city of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. In front of the main facade, across the piazza Bellini, rise the older churches of San Cataldo and Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio (or the Martorana), while across Piazza Pretoria is the Theatine church of San Giuseppe and the entrance to the Piazza of Quattro Canti. Refurbished over the centuries, the church retains elements and decorations from the Renaissance, Baroque, and late-Baroque (Rococo) eras. This church is distinct from the Oratorio di Santa Caterina found in the Olivella neighborhood.

In 1310, the rich Benvenuta Mastrangelo in his last will endowed the foundation of a female Dominican convent. The monastery was dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, and was sited on the location of the former palace of George of Antioch, admiral of Roger II of Sicily.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Chiesa di Santa Caterina

View more options near Chiesa di Santa Caterina

Nearby Tours & Activities