Palazzo Chiaramonte

Palermo, Italy

Palazzo Chiaramonte

9

Palazzo Chiaramonte-Steri is a Gothic-style palace located on via Piazza Marina, facing the Giardino Garibaldi in the ancient quarter of Kalsa of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy.

The building, intended to be the family palace or castle, was begun as by 1320 under the patronage of the powerful Sicilian lord Manfredi III Chiaramonte. He commissioned the decoration of the Sala Magna ("Grand Hall"), with a painted wooden ceiling by Cecco di Naro, Simone da Corleone and Pellegrino Darena. From the late 15th century to 1517 it housed the Aragonese-Spanish viceroys of Sicily; later it was home to the Royal Customs and, from 1600 to 1782, the tribunal of the Holy Inquisition.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Palazzo Chiaramonte

View more options near Palazzo Chiaramonte

Nearby Tours & Activities