Château de la Petite Malmaison

Paris, France

Château de la Petite Malmaison

9.2

The Château de la Petite Malmaison is a French château from the 19th century in the town of Rueil-Malmaison in the Hauts-de-Seine department. It was built between 1803 and 1805 for Joséphine de Beauharnais, owner of the neighboring Château de Malmaison. It was a reception pavilion adjacent to a large greenhouse, since destroyed.

The large greenhouse of Malmaison was begun in 1804 for the Empress Josephine by the landscape architect Jean-Marie Morel (1728 - 1810) and completed by the end of 1805 according to plans by Jean-Thomas Thibault (1757-1826) and his partner Barthélemy Vignon (1762-1846). It was the first time in France that glass was used for such a large surface. The greenhouse of Malmaison can be considered the forerunner of the great glass and metal architecture of the 19th century. It was about 50 by 19 metres (164 by 62 ft) and was divided into two distinct sections:

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Château de la Petite Malmaison

View more options near Château de la Petite Malmaison

Nearby Tours & Activities