Couvent des Jacobins de la rue Saint-Jacques

Paris, France

Couvent des Jacobins de la rue Saint-Jacques

The Couvent Saint-Jacques, Grand couvent des Jacobins or Couvent des Jacobins de la rue Saint-Jacques was a Dominican monastery on rue Saint-Jacques in Paris. Its complex was between what are now rue Soufflot and rue Cujas. Its teaching activities was the origin of the coll猫ge des Jacobins, a college of the historic university of Paris.

The Dominican order established a base in Paris in 1217 in a house near Notre-Dame. In 1218 Jean Barastre (also known as Jean de Saint-Quentin, theology professor and doctor to Philip II of France) gave the order a house with a chapel near the city walls. This chapel was the chapel of a pilgrims' hospice - dedicated to Saint James the Great, it gave its name to rue Saint-Jacques and to the French Dominicans, who became known as the 'Jacobins' after their main monastery.



Accommodations near Couvent des Jacobins de la rue Saint-Jacques

View more options near Couvent des Jacobins de la rue Saint-Jacques0

Nearby Tours & Activities