Salle Pleyel

Paris, France

Salle Pleyel

The Salle Pleyel (French pronunciation: ​[sal plɛjɛl], meaning "Pleyel Hall") is a concert hall in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, France, designed by acoustician Gustave Lyon together with architect Jacques Marcel Auburtin, who died in 1926, and the work was completed in 1927 by his collaborators André Granet and Jean-Baptiste Mathon. Its varied programme includes contemporary and popular music. Until 2015, the hall was a major venue for classical orchestral music, with Orchestre de Paris and the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France as resident ensembles.

An earlier salle Pleyel seating 300 opened in December 1839 at 22 rue Rochechouart. From 1849 to 1869, impresario Charlotte Tardieu organized four chamber concerts a year at the hall. It saw the premieres of many important works, including Chopin's Ballade Op.38 and Scherzo Op.39 (April 26, 1841), Ballade Op.47 (February 21, 1842) and Barcarolle Op.60 (February 16, 1848), the second (1868) and fifth (1896) piano concertos by Saint-Saëns, Fauré's Violin Sonata No. 1 (27 January 1877), and Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte and Jeux d'eau (April 5, 1902) and Sonata for Violin and Cello (April 6, 1922).



Accommodations near Salle Pleyel

View more options near Salle Pleyel0

Nearby Tours & Activities