Howe-Childs Gate House

Pittsburgh, United States

Howe-Childs Gate House

The Howe-Childs Gate House located at 5918 Fifth Avenue in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was built circa 1861. Originally "Willow Cottage", built for Thomas Marshall Howe, it is supposedly the oldest wood frame house in Pittsburgh and the oldest existing house from the city's "Millionaire's Row." Former owners of the clapboard Gothic revival/cottage style house include members of the Howe and Childs families, Mary Howe Childs, and also Michael L. Benedum. The house is currently owned by Chatham University. It was added to the List of City of Pittsburgh historic designations on April 16, 1986, and the List of Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation Historic Landmarks in 2004.



Accommodations near Howe-Childs Gate House

View more options near Howe-Childs Gate House0

Nearby Tours & Activities