Pontrobert is an ecclesiastical parish that was formed in September 1854. It comprises the townships of Teirtref and part of Nantymeichiaid in the parish Meifod, a portion of Cynhinfa which was in the parish of Llangynyw and portions of the townships of Fachwel, Llaethbwlch and Cadwnfa which were in the parish of Llanfihangel. The total area of this parish is 5,000 acres. As a result of this arrangement, Pont Robert is now divided between the present day Community Councils of Meifod, Llangyniew and Mawddwy. Pontrobert was within the historic county of Montgomeryshire, now forming part of Powys. The name Pontrobert is derived from Robert ap Oliver of Cyhinfa, who built the original bridge over the River Vyrnwy around 1700. An alternative Welsh name for Pontrobert is Pont y ddolfeiniog.
The church was built in 1853 following the formation of the new parish to designs by Richard Kyrke Penson. The church is in the Deanery of Ceirienion, the Archdeaconery of Montgomery and the Diocese of St Asaph. The church has well proportioned gable ends and slates meeting the walls without a coping. Simple Early English style with a west bellcote, and interior without structural division. The roof has arched braces resting on low imposts.