Porto Tram Museum

Porto, Portugal

Porto Tram Museum

The Porto Tram Museum (Museu do Carro Eléctrico) is a museum operated by the Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto. It was inaugurated in 1992 and is installed in a former thermoelectric power station next to the River Douro in Massarelos, Porto, Portugal. It exhibits material related to the history of trams in Porto. The collection contains 16 electric cars, 5 trailers, and two maintenance vehicles as well as the former equipment of the power plant, which provided electricity for the tram lines.

The construction of the building as a power plant was completed in 1915. It consists of two large halls that were, respectively, the hall for the steam generators (boilers) and the engine room. Until the 1940s the power station produced enough energy to power the tram network. However, with the increase in the number of electric cars in circulation, the trams became partially dependent on the city’s power supply and in the 1960s energy production at the plant ceased, although it continues to operate as a substation for the three remaining tram lines. The museum was opened on the site in May 1992. One hall of the building houses the trams and the other the electrical equipment. An additional shed houses the trams that are still used on a daily basis. The museum closed in December 2012, re-opening in November 2015 after repairs costing around one million Euros.



Accommodations near Porto Tram Museum

View more options near Porto Tram Museum0

Nearby Tours & Activities