Infant Jesus of Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Infant Jesus of Prague

The Infant Jesus of Prague (Czech: Pražské Jezulátko: Spanish: Niño Jesús de Praga) is a 16th-century wax-coated wooden statue of the Child Jesus holding a globus cruciger of Spanish origin, now located in the Discalced Carmelite Church of Our Lady of Victories in Malá Strana, Prague, Czech Republic. First appearing in 1556, pious legends claim that the statue once belonged to Teresa of Ávila and was consequently donated to the Carmelite friars by Princess Polyxena of Lobkowicz in 1628.

The image is routinely clothed by the Carmelite nuns in luxurious fabrics with imperial regalia and a golden crown while his left hand holds a globus cruciger and the right hand raised in a gesture of benediction. It is venerated on Christmas day and the first Sunday of May commemorating both its centenary and “episcopal coronation” in 1655.



Accommodations near Infant Jesus of Prague

View more options near Infant Jesus of Prague0

Nearby Tours & Activities