St. George's Convent, Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

St. George's Convent, Prague

The Convent of Saint George was a convent of Benedictine nuns located in Prague Castle in Bohemia (now the Czech Republic) between 973 and 1782.

Founded in 973, the convent was next to the seat of ecclesiastical and state power in Bohemia and occasionally the entire Holy Roman Empire, and played an important historical role. Although no longer active, the convent's building and the attached Basilica dedicated to Saint George still exist. The building of the convent housed the Czech National Gallery's collection of 19th-century Bohemian art for a long time. Currently, it is empty and waits for a renovation.



Accommodations near St. George's Convent, Prague

View more options near St. George's Convent, Prague0

Nearby Tours & Activities