Duke of Kent House, Quebec

Quebec City, Canada

Duke of Kent House, Quebec

Duke of Kent House or Kent House (French: Maison du Duc-de-Kent) is situated on the corner of Rue Saint-Louis and Haldimand, behind the Château Frontenac in Quebec City, named after its most famous resident Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn. Though altered and transformed since its original construction, the most part of its foundations and of the first floor walls date back to the vicinity of 1650, making it one of the oldest houses, if not the oldest house in Quebec City. In 1759, the Articles of Capitulation of Quebec were signed within the house. The present edifice has remained largely unchanged since 1819. It served as the French Consulate from 1980 to 2015.

The first owners of the land on which Kent House stands were Louis d'Ailleboust de Coulonge, 4th Governor of New France from 1648 to 1651, and his wife, Marie-Barbe de Boulogne. Shortly after 1650, they had a house built on this site. Following the death of the late governor's wife in 1665, her property and house on Saint-Louis Street was gifted to the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.



Accommodations near Duke of Kent House, Quebec

View more options near Duke of Kent House, Quebec0

Nearby Tours & Activities