Government House (Quebec)

Quebec City, Canada

Government House (Quebec)

Quebec's Government House, known as Spencer Wood, was the viceregal residence of Quebec. It was built in 1854. Located at Bois-de-Coulonge Park (upstream of the Plains of Abraham and overlooking Anse-au-Foulon) in Sillery, it was purchased by the Quebec government in 1870, and served as the residence of Quebec lieutenant governors until 1966, when a major fire destroyed the main residence.

Originally, the residence of the governor of New France was at the Château St-Louis, in the capital, Quebec City. The monarch's representative continues to work and reside in that city; however, like Ontario, Quebec no longer has an official Government House, after Spencer Wood burned down in 1966. Instead he or she holds an office and a suite of rooms for entertaining near the Parliament Building.



Accommodations near Government House (Quebec)

View more options near Government House (Quebec)0

Nearby Tours & Activities