South Queensferry is a small town 10 miles west and upriver of Edinburgh in central Scotland. Historically it was the south pier of the Queen's Ferry, established almost 1000 years ago by St Margaret wife of King Malcolm III, to ensure regular transport from Edinburgh across the Forth to Dunfermline (then the capital) and to the pilgrimage town of St Andrews. The railway bridge opened in 1890, while the car ferry remained in service until 1964 when the Forth road bridge opened. So nowadays most traffic bypasses the town, which has become a commuter suburb for Edinburgh. The main reasons to visit are to stroll through the old town and across the Forth Bridge, and to visit the ruined abbey on Inchcolm Island.
Four Scotrail trains an hour run from Edinburgh Waverley and Haymarket, taking 15 mins to 1 Dalmeny Station which is half a mile south east of town centre. These trains continue north over the bridge to Inverkeithing, then either inland via Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath or along the coast via Kirkcaldy, to Glenrothes then they loop back to Inverkeithing, Dalmeny and Edinburgh. Inter-city trains from Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness don't stop here, change at Inverkeithing north of the bridge. From Glasgow, Newcastle and elsewhere in England, change at Edinburgh or Haymarket.