Þjóðminjasafnið

Reykjavík, Iceland

Þjóðminjasafnið

8.8

The National Museum of Iceland (Icelandic: Þjóðminjasafn Íslands [ˈθjouðˌmɪnjaˌsapn ˈistlan(t)s]) was established on 24 February 1863, with Jón Árnason the first curator of the Icelandic collection, previously kept in Danish museums.

The second curator, Sigurður Guðmundsson, advocated the creation of an antiquarian collection. The museum was called the Antiquarian Collection until 1911 when its name changed to the National Museum of Iceland. Before settling at its present location, at Suðurgata 41, 101 Reykjavík, in 1950, it was housed in various Reykjavík attics, including in the attic of the Culture House for 40 years.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Þjóðminjasafnið

View more options near Þjóðminjasafnið

Nearby Tours & Activities