Cemitério dos Ingleses, Gamboa

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Cemitério dos Ingleses, Gamboa

The Cemitério dos Ingleses, Gamboa is a cemetery in Gamboa, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. It is also known as the English Cemetery or the British Cemetery Gamboa.

John VI of Portugal ceded two and a half acres of land near the shore of Guanabara Bay to the British in 1809. The British Ambassador to the Emperor's court (Percy Smythe, 6th Viscount Strangford), founded the cemetery. The first burial was in 1811.



Accommodations near Cemitério dos Ingleses, Gamboa

View more options near Cemitério dos Ingleses, Gamboa0

Nearby Tours & Activities