Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Candelária

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Candelária

9.2

The Candelária Church (Portuguese: Igreja da Candelária, pronounced [iˈgɾeʒɐ ðɐ kɐ̃deˈlaɾjɐ]) is an important historical Roman Catholic church in the city of Rio de Janeiro, in southeastern Brazil. It was built and decorated during a long period, from 1775 to the late 19th century. The church combines a Portuguese colonial Baroque façade with later Neoclassical and Neo-Renaissance interior elements.

The quasi-legendary history about the establishment of the church is that in the beginning of the 17th century a ship called Candelária almost sank during a storm on the sea. Upon arriving in Rio de Janeiro, a Portuguese couple, António Martins Palma and Leonor Gonçalves sponsored the building of a small chapel, fulfilling the oath they made during the storm. This small chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of Candelária, was built around 1609.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Candelária

View more options near Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Candelária

Nearby Tours & Activities