Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum

Rome, Italy

Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum

The Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum or simply Collegium Germanicum is a German-speaking seminary for Roman Catholic priests in Rome, founded in 1552. Since 1580 its full name has been Pontificium Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum de Urbe.

The Collegium Germanicum was established on 31 August 1552 by Pope Julius III with the bull Dum sollicita. The initiative towards its foundation was taken by Cardinal Giovanni Morone and Ignatius Loyola. Pope Julius III approved of the idea and promised his aid, but for a long time the college had to struggle against financial difficulties. Ignatius formally opened it on 28 October and the direction of the college was given to the order he founded 12 years earlier - the Society of Jesus ("Jesuits"). After the Almo Collegio Capranica, this is the oldest college in Rome. The first students were received in November 1552.



Accommodations near Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum

View more options near Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum0

Nearby Tours & Activities