Sant'Anselmo all'Aventino

Rome, Italy

Sant'Anselmo all'Aventino

Sant'Anselmo all'Aventino (English: Saint Anselm on the Aventine) is a complex located on the Piazza Cavalieri di Malta Square on the Aventine Hill in Rome's Ripa rione and overseen by the Benedictine Confederation. The Sant'Anselmo complex, also known as the "Primatial Abbey of Sant'Anselmo" (Italian: Badia Sant'Anselmo), consists of: an ecclesiastical residential college known as the "College of Sant'Anselmo" (Italian: Collegio Sant'Anselmo); a university known as the "Pontifical Athenaeum of Saint Anselm" (Italian: Pontificio Ateneo Sant’Anselmo); the "Church of Sant'Anselmo" (Italian: Chiesa Sant'Anselmo); and the curial headquarters of the "Benedictine Confederation". The complex and associated institutions are named in honor of the Benedictine monk Saint Anselm of Canterbury.

On January 4, 1887, Pope Leo XIII issued a papal brief ("Quae diligenter") that formally commissioned the re-establishment of a residential college for the new Benedictine Confederation. The previous College of Sant'Anselmo that had been founded two hundred years earlier by Pope Innocent XI for students from the Cassinese Benedictine Congregation was to now be re-established for Benedictine monks from around the world. Housing would become a critical challenge so the Benedictines began a search for more permanent accommodations for this college.



Accommodations near Sant'Anselmo all'Aventino

View more options near Sant'Anselmo all'Aventino0

Nearby Tours & Activities