Saint Issey, United Kingdom

St Issey (Cornish: Egloskrug) is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is situated approximately two miles (3 km) south of Padstow. The parish covers an area of approximately 4,500 acres (18 km2). At the 2011 census the parish population was 940. An electoral ward with the name of St Issey also exists. Its population at the same census was 4,111.

The parish takes its name from Saint Yse (or Ida), one of the twenty-four children of St Brychan, a 4th-century Welsh saint and king. (The name of the hamlet St Jidgey is also derived from the name of the same saint.) The Cornish name means "the church on the tumulus". In early records Egloscruk is the name of the parish, while St Ida refers to the site of the saint's chapel and holy well at Zanzidgie. Until 1199 the parish formed part of the manor and peculiar of Pawton, belonging to the Bishop of Exeter; it was then appropriated by the bishop to the Chapter of Exeter Cathedral. At Sea Mills near Trevorrick are the remains of a sea mill on the River Camel.


Saint Issey Tours & Activities