Bogoslovskoe Cemetery

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Bogoslovskoe Cemetery

Bogoslovskoe Cemetery (Russian: Богословское кладбище) is a cemetery in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is located in the Kalininsky District of the city between Laboratornaya Street and Prospekt Mechnikov.

The name comes from the church of John the Apostle, (Russian: Иоанн Богослов, Ioann Bogoslov), which from the early 18th century had a burial ground attached, mostly for those who died in the nearby military hospital. This site was some 2.5 km south of the present cemetery, at what is now the intersection of Arsenalnaya Street and Mineralnaya Streets. The church and cemetery were closed in 1788 and the land sold off into private ownership. In 1841 the city acquired a new plot of land for a cemetery, and named it after the previous one. In 1844, the Most Holy Synod approved the building of a new stone church, but no funds were available. In 1853-1854 a small two-storey chapel was built.



Accommodations near Bogoslovskoe Cemetery

View more options near Bogoslovskoe Cemetery0

Nearby Tours & Activities