Grand Choral Synagogue, St. Petersburg

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Grand Choral Synagogue, St. Petersburg

9.2

The Grand Choral Synagogue of Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербургская Большая Хоральная Синагога, tr. Sankt-Peterburgskaya Bolshaya Khoralnaya Sinagoga; Hebrew: בית הכנסת הכוראלי הגדול (סנקט פטרבורג)) is the third-largest synagogue in Europe. Other names include The Great Choral Synagogue of Saint Petersburg and (since 2000) The Edmond J Safra Grand Choral Synagogue. Sometimes it is simply referred to as the Saint Petersburg Synagogue or Bolshaya Sinagoga. It was built between 1880 and 1888, and consecrated in December 1893. The synagogue is located at 2 Lermontovskii Prospekt, Saint Petersburg, Russia. The Chief Rabbi of Saint Petersburg is Menachem Mendel Pewzner. Today the synagogue is a registered landmark and an architectural monument of federal importance.

By 1870, there were about ten Jewish houses of worship in Saint Petersburg; however, there was no synagogue in which the Jewish community as a whole could meet in what was then the capital of the Russia Empire.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Grand Choral Synagogue, St. Petersburg

View more options near Grand Choral Synagogue, St. Petersburg

Nearby Tours & Activities