Casa Navarro State Historic Site

San Antonio, United States

Casa Navarro State Historic Site

9.2

Casa Navarro is a historic site in San Antonio, Bexar County, in the U.S. state of Texas. The original house complex was the residence of Texas patriot José Antonio Navarro (1795–1871), a rancher, merchant, leading advocate for Tejano rights, and one of only two native-born Texans to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence. Navarro first bought the property, about 1.5 acres, in 1832. The limestone, caliche block, and adobe structures were built c. 1832–1855, and Navarro moved onto the property soon after.

The site is situated in the heart of old San Antonio, in what used to be a thriving Tejano neighborhood known as Laredito. The structures were acquired and restored by the San Antonio Conservation Society between 1960 and 1964, and the site was opened to the public in October 1964. The site was designated a Texas State Historic Landmark in 1962, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. On January 1, 2008, the house was transferred from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to the Texas Historical Commission. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2016.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Casa Navarro State Historic Site

View more options near Casa Navarro State Historic Site

Nearby Tours & Activities