Rancho Dos Pueblos

Santa Barbara, United States

Rancho Dos Pueblos

Rancho Dos Pueblos was a 15,535-acre (62.87 km2) Mexican land grant in present day Santa Barbara County, California given in 1842 by Governor Juan Alvarado to Nicolas A. Den. The rancho stretched along the Pacific coast to the northwest of today's city of Santa Barbara, from Fairview Avenue in Goleta (at that time in the middle of Goleta Slough) to the southeastern boundary of today's El Capitan State Beach. A 500-acre parcel was bought by Colin Powys Campbell in 1919. That parcel is now owned by University of California, Santa Barbara which purchased it from the Devereux Foundation in 2007, following the closure of the campus it had established there in 1945.

The first European visitors to the coast of California were Spanish maritime explorers led by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo, who spent several days around the Channel Islands in 1542 before sailing farther north. It's quite possible that one of Cabrillo's shore parties landed at Dos Pueblos Creek to take on fresh water. If so, they would have met the Chumash people who lived in two towns on either side of the creek.



Accommodations near Rancho Dos Pueblos

View more options near Rancho Dos Pueblos0

Nearby Tours & Activities