Iglesia de la Divina Providencia

Santiago, Chile

Iglesia de la Divina Providencia

The Iglesia de la Divina Providencia (English: Church of the Divine Providence) is a church managed by the Sisters of Providence, in Santiago, Chile. It gives its name to the district of Providencia and also to Avenida Providencia. The church was originally declared as a National Monument in 1975, but this designation was revoked and again designated as a national monument in 1989.

In 1854, the land where the church stands was acquired to build an orphan asylum for the purpose of replacing the old asylum located on the current Huérfanos Street. Its operation was given to the Sisters of Providence by the then minister Antonio Varas.Several years later, Domingo Santa María approved the construction of a church for the orphanage. Designed by architect Eduardo Provasoli, the church was built between 1881 and 1890 in Neo-Renaissance style.



Accommodations near Iglesia de la Divina Providencia

View more options near Iglesia de la Divina Providencia0

Nearby Tours & Activities