Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos


The Three Eyes National Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos) is a 50-yard open-air limestone cave located in the Mirador del Este park, in the Santo Domingo Este municipality of the Dominican Republic. A series of three lakes, or ojos, the site is currently one of the most visited tourist attractions in the country.

The site was created centuries ago as a result of tectonic fractures when caves collapsed, forming a bowl-shaped depression which subsequently filled with water. Initially, the cave was used by the indigenous Taíno Indians for religious rituals and fertility rites. The Taíno were the first inhabitants of the Hispaniola island. The three lakes are called "Lago de Azufre" (discovered in 1916), "La Nevera" and "El Lago de las Damas". Some of the lakes also have openings on the outside. A staircase cut into the rock gives access to the first cave. A boat pulls visitors across the second lake to give access to a fourth lake called "Los Zaramagullones," not considered one of the three "eyes" or main lakes since it has an opening to the outside.

Thumbnail image credited to Danu WidjajantoAdditional info

Guests' reviews

Accommodations near Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos

View more options near Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos

Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos Tours & Activities