Seven Saints Church, Sofia

Sofia, Bulgaria

Seven Saints Church, Sofia

9.4

The Sveti Sedmochislenitsi Church (Bulgarian: църква „Свети Седмочисленици“) and formerly The Black Mosque (Turkish: Kara Camii) is a Bulgarian Orthodox church in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. It was created between 1901 and 1902 as an Ottoman mosque later converted into orthodox Church, and was inaugurated on 27 July 1903. The church is named after Cyril and Methodius and their five disciples, known in the Orthodox Church collectively as the Sedmochislenitsi.

The Black Mosque (Bulgarian: Черна джамия, romanized: Cherna dzhamiya; Turkish: Kara Camii) was built in 1528 on the order of Suleiman the Magnificent with the intention to be more impressive and beautiful than the Christian churches in the city. The mosque is popularly attributed to the famous Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan, although this is uncertain. It was constructed at the place of a former nunnery of the Rila Monastery and an Early Christian temple from the 4th-5th century, the ruins of which were excavated in 1901. An even older construction, a pagan temple of Asclepius from Roman Serdica, was also discovered in the mosque's foundations.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Seven Saints Church, Sofia

View more options near Seven Saints Church, Sofia

Nearby Tours & Activities