San Bartolomeo, Castellammare di Stabia

Sorrento, Italy

San Bartolomeo, Castellammare di Stabia

San Bartolomeo (St Bartholemew) is a baroque-style, Roman Catholic church located on Strada del Gesù in Castellammare di Stabia, in the metropolitan city of Naples, region of Campania, Italy.

A Clarissan convent, dedicated to St Bartholemew, once was located where today stands the Santuario della Sanità and the Villa Pellicano. The convent dated to prior to 1189. However, in the mid-16th century, the conclusions of the Council of Trent demanded for female convents to be located within city walls. Thus in 1583, the nuns moved to this new location. Construction was dilatory, and the church was not completed until 1673. It was refurbished in the 18th century. An atrium and chancel were added to the front, designed by Catello Troiano, with work completed in 1821.



Accommodations near San Bartolomeo, Castellammare di Stabia

View more options near San Bartolomeo, Castellammare di Stabia0

Nearby Tours & Activities