St John the Baptist's Church, Allington

Southampton, United Kingdom

St John the Baptist's Church, Allington

St John the Baptist's Church in the village of Allington, Wiltshire, England is a redundant Anglican parish church in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a Grade II listed building.

The earliest parts of the church date from the 12th century, but only fragments of this building remain, in the imposts of the chancel arch (rebuilt in the 19th century) and a portion of stonework from a Norman doorway, reset in the north wall. Most of the church was rebuilt between 1847 and 1851, the architect being the "priest-architect" Fr William Grey; the new building scrupulously reproduced the plan and details of its 13th-century predecessor, except that the timber belfry was replaced by masonry.



Accommodations near St John the Baptist's Church, Allington

View more options near St John the Baptist's Church, Allington0

Nearby Tours & Activities