Scolton Manor

Spittal, United Kingdom

Scolton Manor

8.6

Scolton Manor is a Victorian country house and country park located in Pembrokeshire, West Wales northeast of Haverfordwest and on the borders of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Built as a home, it is now a museum and is a Grade II* listed building. The stable court, some 120 m (130 yd) to the north, is also a Grade II listed building and both are owned by Pembrokeshire County Council. The house, grounds and a number of exhibits are open to the public.

Designed by local architects William and James Owen, Scolton Manor was built in 1840 and occupied from 1842 by the Higgon family. The house replaced a former building owned by the same family which had burned down in the mid-eighteenth century. Prominent amongst Pembrokeshire society, three Higgon family members held the position of High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire, including the last resident, Lt Col John Henry Victor Higgon (1902-1987). It is a country house built in a neo-classical style, with unpainted stucco, with a slated, hipped roofs and flat overhanging eaves.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Scolton Manor

View more options near Scolton Manor

Nearby Tours & Activities