St Mary's Church, Stamford

Stamford, United Kingdom

St Mary's Church, Stamford


St Mary's Church, Stamford is a parish church in the Church of England, located in Stamford, Lincolnshire, lending its name to St Mary's Hill (part of the old Great North Road) on which it stands, and which runs down to the river crossing opposite The George Hotel.

The church was built by the twelfth century, the tower in the thirteenth century and the spire in the fourteenth century. The spire was saved from collapse following a recommendation by William Stukeley in 1741 that it should be repaired, work which was eventually carried out in 1788 by Charles Haynes, using iron strapping. The spire was strengthened again in 1913 by the addition of internal tie bars.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info

Accommodations near St Mary's Church, Stamford

View more options near St Mary's Church, Stamford

Nearby Tours & Activities