Stamfordham, United Kingdom

Travel to Stamfordham

Stamfordham is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, west of Newcastle upon Tyne, north of Corbridge and east of Hexham. The population of the civil parish at the 2001 Census was 1,047, rising to 1,185 at the 2011 Census. The place-name Stamfordham is first attested in the Pipe Rolls for 1188, where it appears as Stanfordhamn, which roughly translates as 'village at the stony ford'.

The Church of England parish church of St Mary the Virgin was built in the 13th century and overrestored under the direction of Benjamin Ferrey in 1848. In addition to St Mary's, there is a non-denominational Church on the Green. The exceptionally-large village green contains both a market cross (the Butter Cross, dating from 1735) and a village lock-up which is Grade II listed and dates from the early 19th century, pre-dating the formation of police forces.




Stamfordham Tours & Activities